Air Force Office of Scientific Research No-Cost Extension (NCE) Guidance
AFOSR requires prior written approval to extend the period of performance, without additional funds, beyond the expiration date of the grant. AFOSR only grants no-cost extensions when they are truly warranted and properly documented. For an extension to be granted, all NCE requests must be received from the Principal Investigator (PI) and at least 30 days prior to the expiration of the grant’s period of performance.
All PIs must submit NCE requests through the AFOSR Request a No Cost Extension platform
AFOSR will no longer accept NCE requests via email. All requests that are submitted through other avenues will have to be re-routed through the above website.
The NCE request must include:
- Compelling reason(s) for the extension beyond the using unexpended balances.
- Original end date and requested extension length.
- SF 425 showing the unexpended funds remaining.
- Request letter from Business office on University’s letterhead
- Ensure all required previous annual reports have been received by AFOSR
In no event will the period of performance be extended merely for the purpose of using unobligated balances.