MIT Guidance Regarding NSF GOALI Proposals and Awards
Effective January 30, 2017, as part of NSF’s issuance of a new Proposal & Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG 17-1), NSF GOALI proposals will be a new proposal type, as indicated on the FastLane cover page. The Grant Opportunities for Academic Liaison with Industry (GOALI) proposal type must include confirmation that MIT and the Industrial Partner will agree in advance how Intellectual Property Rights will be handled. Your department’s RAS representative can provide a draft collaboration agreement and open negotiations with the Industrial Partner organization.
At the time of Proposal Submission,
- The Industrial Co-PI will need a Fastlane Account to be listed on the NSF cover page. This can be set up as an individual, or as a user through their company’s Sponsored Research Office, if applicable.
- The Industrial Co-PI must be included in the Kuali Coeus proposal
- Typically, they should be set up with a Kerberos account and certify the proposal as a Co-PI. The Industrial Co-PI will need to submit a conflict of interest disclosure for review through the MIT COI system.
- If the co-PI’s organization has a NSF-compliant conflict of interest policy, and agrees to take responsibility for the COI review, the co-PI may be listed as a Key Person in KC instead, and does not need to disclose to MIT.
- The statement of work should clearly indicate the division of responsibilities between MIT and the Industrial Partner
- the proposal must include a “GOALI-Industrial PI Confirmation Letter” signed by the Industrial Co-PI’s organization
- a copy of the MIT-Industrial Partner draft collaboration agreement is often included in “Other Supplementary Document”, but this is not mandatory. The agreement does not need to be signed before the proposal is submitted.
The PI/DLC should provide the Industrial Partner with a copy of the draft collaboration agreement as early as possible, and definitely prior to submitting the proposal to NSF. Should the proposal be recommended for award, the GOALI agreement will need to be negotiated and signed before NSF will make the award, so this typically must be done quickly.