All proposals submitted by the Institute must be reviewed and approved by the PI’s Department Head or Lab Director and, in most cases, the Dean of the appropriate School. Depending on the activities or special commitments (such as cost sharing and underrecovery) in the proposal, additional reviews and approvals may be required. Proposals must be received in complete and final form in RAS at least 5 business days before the due date. Departments and Schools may impose additional time requirements for proposal review requirements.
Internal Routing and review process:
- Principal Investigator and each Co-investigator
- Department Head or Laboratory/Center Director of the managing unit responsible for the project
- Department Head or Laboratory/Center Director of each co-investigator or faculty member identified by name in the proposal
- Depending on School policy, the Dean, or Vice President for Research and Associate Provost for laboratories reporting to her/him
- RAS contract administrator(s) for proposal review and signature by MIT authorizing official
- Vice President for Research and Associate Provost approval required for international programs
Complete Roles and Responsibilities of the above individuals can be found here.
Conflict of Interest (COI) Disclosure
The National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other sponsors, including foundations, have adopted regulations on disclosure of financial conflicts of interest by principal investigators and other key personnel responsible for proposing, conducting and reporting on the results of research.
- MIT’s implementation of these regulations includes a requirement that the principal investigator and other key personnel provide information PRIOR TO THE SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS on the extent (if any) of any financial holdings or income which meet the MIT COI policy financial thresholds for disclosure.
- Potential conflicts do not need to be resolved before submission of the proposal; see MIT guidance on activities that require prior approval or are not permitted.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.