Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Supplements

MIT Guidance Regarding REU Supplements

Investigators with an active research award may request supplemental funding to involve an undergraduate in an existing project under the Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program.  Because this program is funded as “Participant Support Costs”, it is often recommended by NSF program managers as a cost effective way to support students.  However, not all student support is eligible for funding under this program.

  • The REU student supported must be a US Citizen, national, or Permanent Resident
  • The student must be an undergraduate
  • The student cannot also be an MIT employee

If the project is not eligible for funding under the REU program, it may still be possible to get supplemental funds for student support, but the support would be provided as pay for work rather than a stipend, and bear appropriate indirect costs. 

How to Apply for an REU Supplement to an Existing Award

  • First, contact the NSF Program officer for the award, and confirm that they will support the request if submitted.  It is not advisable to submit any supplemental funding request to the NSF without prior discussion.
  • In, prepare a Supplemental Funding request.