NOAA is a federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans and the atmosphere. It plays several distinct roles within the Department of Commerce:
- Supplier of environmental information products
- Provider of environmental stewardship services
- Leader in applied scientific research relating to ecosystems, climate, weather & water, and commerce & transportation
To learn more about ongoing research sponsored by NOAA, visit NOAA Research.
Finding Funding Opportunities
There are several Line Offices under NOAA. Each offers unique funding opportunities within its area of interest. Grants.gov is also a source for funding information.
Submission Portal and Format
Each announcement contains specific proposal requirements. Please refer to the individual funding announcement for proposal submission guidelines.
NOAA standard application is the SF 424.
Grant Terms and Conditions
The Department of Commerce and NOAA grants are subject to:
- Uniform Administrative Requirements - 2 CFR 200
- Research Terms and Conditions (RTC), including government-wide and agency specific terms and conditions. NOAA is under the Department of Commerce:
- Department of Commerce Financial Assistance Standard Terms and Conditions
- NOAA Standard Award Conditions
Checklists, Disclosures and Other Guidance
- NOAA Proposal Route/Review/Submission Checklist [PDF] - December 2022