Last updated November 10, 2022
Effective January 25, 2023, all applications for NIH-funded research that will generate scientific data must include a Data Management and Sharing Plan (DMSP). The DMSP must be two pages or less and address the following points:
- Data type
- Related tools, software, or code
- Data preservation, access, and associated timelines
- Access, distribution, or reuse considerations
- Oversight of data management and sharing
More information on these elements can be found in NIH guide notice NOT-OD-21-014.
Developing Data Management Plans at MIT
MIT Libraries’ Data Management Services offers a range of services to help you develop a DMSP, advise you on effective data management during research, or recommend data sharing and publication options.
- MIT’s Key Points: NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy [PDF]
- MIT Resources for NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing [PDF]
Budgeting for Data Management and Sharing
Below is a summary of current NIH budget guidance for DMSPs. RAS is seeking additional guidance regarding the long-term costs of data storage beyond the award period and will provide updated information on this page as it becomes available.
Allowable costs for budgets are:
- Curating data and developing supporting documentation
- Local data management considerations
- Preserving and sharing data through established repositories
Note that all allowable costs submitted in budget requests must be incurred during the performance period, even for scientific data and metadata preserved and shared beyond the award period.
See Allowable Costs for Data Management and Sharing for additional details.
Requesting Funds for Data Management and Sharing
To request funds toward data management and sharing costs, investigators should include:
- A line item in the budget form
- R&R Budget Form: single line item in section F. Other Direct Costs
- PHS 398 Modular Budget Form: as text embedded within the Additional Narrative Justification
- A brief summary of the DMSP and a description of the requested data management and sharing costs in the budget justification
- R&R Budget Form: embedded within the section L. Budget Justification attachment
- PHS 398 Modular Budget Form: embedded within the Additional Narrative Justification
See Implementation Details for the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy for more information.
Investigators whose research projects are also subject to the Genomic Data Sharing Policy should also include requested costs for genomic data management and sharing (see Implementation Changes for Genomic Data Sharing Plans).