Last updated: February 27, 2023
News and Updates
- NIH Salary Cap Increase effective January 1, 2023 (January 2023)
- New NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing effective January 25, 2023 (November 2022)
Finding Funding Opportunities
Search for NIH funding opportunities on the following sites:
- NIH Funding
- NIH Parent Announcements
- Funding Opportunities & Notices Search Results - Active Program Announcements (PAs)
- Funding Opportunities & Notices Search Results - Active Requests for Applications (RFAs)
- Grants.gov (search by agency, category or keyword)
If you already know about a solicitation, you can search by the funding opportunity number (e.g., PA-10-067).
About Parent Announcements
NIH parent announcements are “plain vanilla” research solicitations. Not all NIH Institutes and Centers participate on all parent announcements. Before submitting an application, make sure the NIH Institute or Center that might be interested in this research is listed as a participating organization in the announcement.
Submission Portal and Format
Most proposal submissions are electronic, but the PA/RFA must be read to determine the form in which to submit the proposal.
Submit electronic proposals through Grants.gov (Workspace) or ASSIST (run by eRA Commons). After submission, applications are routed to eRA Commons for processing. To register for eRA Commons, contact NIHemail@example.com with name, email, and role (PD/PI or Postdoc). If you already have an eRA Commons ID, email NIHfirstname.lastname@example.org with your username so they can give you MIT access.
Both Grants.gov and ASSIST have validation systems. Before submitting your application, validate and review errors and warnings:
- Errors: Errors prevent your application from being routed to eRA Commons for review. Correct errors before the deadline. being reviewed.
- Warnings: An application with warnings will still be routed to eRA Commons, but may still prevent the application from being reviewed. Review warnings and correct if needed.
See NIH Standard Due Dates for more information.
Terms and Conditions
See NIH Grant Terms and Conditions for more information.
Checklists, Disclosures and Other Guidance
- NIH Grant Applications – Checklists and Preparation Guides
- National Institutes of Health Disclosure Guidance - February 2021
- NIH Data Management and Sharing
- Human Subjects and NIH Proposals