In order for MIT to host a Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellow, the fellow’s sending (home) institution must agree to the terms and conditions of MIT’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Visitor Agreement Template (MCVA).
- Confirm that the proposed fellow’s home institution agrees to the required terms covered on the external guidance. If requested, the MIT’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Visitor Agreement Template (MCVA) may also be provided.
- Host PI must complete and add the internal Supplemental Proposal Routing Form Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions - International Outgoing Fellowships to the proposal
- The CA will provide the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Outgoing Host Letter of Commitment for submission to the fellow’s home institution at time of proposal.
- DLCs must agree to accept the currency risk from converting EUR to USD.
- KC Direct Sponsor: home European university of the Fellow
- KC Prime Sponsor: 001191 European Commission Directorate General for Research and Inn
- Activity type: Fellowship Post-Doctoral
- Title: Marie Curie – “Project Title” – Fellow Name
- Key Personnel – The fellow needs to be added in KC as Key Person/Postdoctoral Fellow and to certify. Please ensure that “PCK-PI, Co-I and Key Person (s)” is designated/selected for COI Discl. Req. on the Supplemental Info tab, since this is a nonfederal/non-PHS-hierarchy proposal.
- Ensure the Fellow’s home institution executes MIT’s Marie Skłodowska-Curie Visitor Agreement Template (MCVA). Minor edits may be acceptable, although we do not negotiate the IP and payment terms. OSATT may need to be engaged.
Once the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Visitor Agreement is finalized, RAS will set up the account. Note that all Marie Sklodowska-Curie fellowships must be set up as parent accounts.
Post-Award for DLCI
- As VPF processes the F&A manually upon request, DLCs must work with VPF to make sure the one-time overhead charge has been taken well before closeout.
- With funds issued in foreign currency (usually Euros), the precise amount must be calculated after the converted US Dollars arrive at MIT. The F&A amount that VPF will charge is the US$ equivalent of the “Management and Overheads Contribution” for the outgoing phase in the grant.
- When funding arrives and is converted to US Dollars, DLCs need to notify RAS of the actual amount received for updating the obligated total in KC. This is important for accurate and timely Section 117 reporting on international funding.
It is acceptable to pay a Marie Curie fellow’s health insurance out of their European Commission research funds. To do so, DLCs must receive:
- Confirmation from the sending university that both the sending university and the European Commission construe payment of the cost of health insurance for the Marie Curie fellow to be an acceptable use of the Marie Curie fellow’s research funds.
- An executed MCVA (required for account set up at RAS).
Marie Curie fellows should only register for health insurance once there is a signed agreement between MIT and the fellow's home institution.
When the Marie Curie fellow registers at MIT Medical for MIT affiliate insurance, they should enter the 7-digit MIT (SAP) Account Number set up for their research expenses on the MIT Affiliate Insurance Enrollment Form as the method of payment. If they make payment through other means, it may be unworkable to revise the payment method later.
Marie Curie Fellows and the European Commission
The Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellowships are offered by the European Commission. Unlike with other European Commission fellowships, MIT typically does not directly apply to the commission for the Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellowships. If applying directly (or for other European Commission proposals), MIT's PIC number (unique identifier) is 998096827.
Not all European Commission funding opportunities can be accepted by MIT. PIs must allow significant lead time for internal review prior to deadline.